You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

misterID wrote:

...because they sound nothing alike, man. 16

Loving The Alien sounds much closer to SCOM.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hmm..ok..didn't mean they sound similar...but..let's talk Double Talking Jive....another song where slash uses classical sounding randy rhoads esque guitar?

DTJ and Anastasia are VERY similar songs...both have a rocky chugging riff based around a single chord during the verses, both have a pretty standard western style chorus...and then both go itno shredded out eastern harmonic minor style scale based solos.....

Guitars types and structure are almost identical...it's really only the vocals that differ....and DTJ doesn't even have very good lyrics or vocals....

but it's not a turd!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Lets be fair to Axl...it's easier to get better at guitar at 50 than it is to sing (especially high notes) at 50.  Paul McCartney is still Paul McCartney, but even he can't hit the high notes he hit when he was in his 20s, and it's been going downhill for several years.  Axl is still Axl.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yes...I think Axl's strength has moved on to songwriting from live....I mean sure at 50 his voice isn't what it was in 1988 - don't think anyone argues that really - but he could still write great lyrics and melodies....I'd like to hear new music really...would be so much more interesting that resinging all these songs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm not talking about the Classical guitar, Monkey. I'm talking about the riff after that. It's like something straight out of an early 80s Ozzy album.

DTJ sounds like an Izzy song with the Classical guitar tacked on at the end.

And okay, I take it back, it's not a turd 16

And I think we can agree Axl doesn't and will never sound like he used to. His voice has changed. Even the 2006 voice. No matter how "strong" he sings, it will never be the same.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

To me it's not that it's ripping of Randy it's that they're both influenced by classical music, too long since I knew about classical styles but I'd guess it's sort of baroque or one of those.

I think it sounds awesome...but each to their own.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like — Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really.

- sorry, couldnt help it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tap!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

If you're talking classical influence on rock/metal, forget Rhodes, forget Malmsteen. Tufnel is the man to look to.

Board footer