You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: 2011-2012 NHL Season

I did know that, because it's one of those dates that's good to know when thousands of Leafs fans descend upon your home arena. I should've specified that I meant teams who had never experienced a win before. But it's always good to point out that the Leafs haven't won the Cup since 67, so thanks for the correction!

I think it's a shame that the 5 minute major was so pivotal, but... come on Jersey! You can't let in 3 goals there. I can't blame the refs for the Kings PP scoring 3.

The Draft looks especially juicy this year, in terms of stories to follow. Do you worry about the Russians? Sabres with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, hoping they use them wisely (either as picks or trade pieces).

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: 2011-2012 NHL Season

Exciting round 1 of the draft (although I was out and following via Twitter, not actually watching the show). 8 of the first 10 D-men... wow. Pretty surprised Grigorenko and Faksa and Teravainen were all still there when the Sabres selected at 12th. I like what Buffalo did, leveraging their extra picks to get two centers at 12 and 14 in Grigorenko and Girgensons. By taking Girgensons at 14, a big center with no work ethic questions, the risk of Grigs not turning out, or going to the KHL, is lessened. Will be interesting to compare this to the 2008 Draft when Buffalo similarly lucked into a guy falling down the board to 12 (Tyler Myers) and then took a needed forward later in the round (Tyler Ennis).

Leafs to me seem to have had the most depressing night, from a fan's perspective. Nothing wrong with their pick, but is Rielly much better than guys who went 5-10 picks later? I expected them to take Forsberg once Reinhart was off the board, and felt like they could've traded down and still gotten Rielly or another comparable prospect. But of course, I'm in America and we don't get to watch Juniors except the World Tournament, so how would I know anything?

Pens got a NICE haul for Jordan Staal. Carolina isn't the sort of franchise that can afford to be flippant with their prospects, since they don't compete in free agency too heavily. Caps also fill a need with Riberio, since Laich always seems like he's stretching himself a bit. Now he doesn't have to be as much of an offensive player, that should help them.

Board footer