You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The SAW Thread

James wrote:

I haven't watched this yet. I'll go see it later this week.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I thought Saw 1 and 2 were good in their own way, but thought 3 was a waste of time. Not expecting much from 4 but I will go see it anyways (cause I'm seeing it for free smile)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

I thought Saw 1 and 2 were good in their own way, but thought 3 was a waste of time. Not expecting much from 4 but I will go see it anyways (cause I'm seeing it for free smile)

In my opinion, 4 was much stronger than 3.  It's kinda like Halloween, it regained a little momentum later in the saga and then died off again.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

'Saw IV' slays in $32.M debut weekend

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer 2 hours, 8 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - The killer of the "Saw" franchise may be dead, but his sadistic spirit lives on. Lionsgate's "Saw IV" led the weekend box office with $32.1 million, maintaining the horror franchise's position as a Halloween perennial, according to studio estimates Sunday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Debuting at No. 2 was Disney's "Dan in Real Life," a romance starring Steve Carell, Juliette Binoche and Dane Cook that took in $12.1 million.

Overall Hollywood revenues declined for the sixth-straight weekend, though business was off only a fraction compared to the same weekend last year. The top-12 movies took in $86.1 million, down 2 percent, better results than the previous weeks, when business had fallen significantly more.

The results for "Saw IV" were on par with the debut of "Saw III," which pulled in $33.6 million over the same weekend last year. Since the original low-budget "Saw" became an out-of-nowhere fright sensation in 2004, Lionsgate has released a new chapter each October, all hits.

"I would expect to see `Saw V' next year, `Saw VI' the year after that and `Saw VII' the following year if they can keep it up," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "There's just something inherently gruesome and compelling about these movies. I don't know what that says about society in general, but it certainly works at the box office."

"Saw IV" features post-mortem horrors concocted by the fiendish killer Jigsaw (Tobin Bell, seen in flashbacks), whose autopsy turns up a cassette tape in his entrails that leads the cops into a new snare of torture puzzles the madman left behind.

"Dan in Real Life" was the prime choice for the date crowd. The movie stars Carell as a widower raising three daughters who falls for his brother's new girlfriend (Binoche) during a family reunion.

In narrower release, Roadside Attractions' "Bella" opened solidly with $1.3 million. The film stars Eduardo Verastegui as a former soccer player who hooks up with a pregnant waitress (Tammy Blanchard).

Thinkfilm's "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," directed by Sidney Lumet ("Dog Day Afternoon," "Network"), opened strongly in limited release at two New York City theaters with $73,500. The film, which gradually expands into nationwide release through November, stars Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke as brothers in financial straits who plot to rob their parents' jewelry store.

A high-profile documentary, Sony Pictures Classics' "Jimmy Carter: Man From Plains," had a poor debut, taking in just $10,573 at seven theaters. The film from director Jonathan Demme ("The Silence of the Lambs") follows the former president during a tour to promote his book "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Saw IV," $32.1 million.

2. "Dan in Real Life," $12.1 million.

3. "30 Days of Night," $6.7 million.

4. "The Game Plan," $6.3 million.

5. "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?", $5.7 million.

6. "Michael Clayton," $5 million.

7. "Gone Baby Gone," $3.9 million.

8. "The Comebacks," $3.45 million.

9. "We Own the Night," $3.4 million.

10. "Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas," $3.35 million.

-------
They're already predicting a Saw 7....:rolleyes:

James

James wrote:

There will be a yearly Saw film until one of them flops, and even then there might be a few more that go straight to DVD. Its this generation's Friday the 13th. Its not going away. However, I would like to give them some advice on how to try and prevent the franchise from dying sooner rather than later:

Change course on the main plot. Its time to retire the Jigsaw thing before it gets too ridiculous. He's already dead. Time to move on. The main reason people continue to go watch these are the creative traps. This can happen with many other plot lines besides going to the Jigsaw well one too many times.

It runs the risk of getting too stale. Final Destination had huge potential to be yearly cash cow as well, as people flocked to the theatres to see the creative deaths. However, they made a mistake by tying what happened in the 1st film with things that followed, and it got stale. They could have easily created new storylines with the same basic premise but didn't do it.

By the way, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead sounds like a great film.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I saw this yesterday, not as good as 1 or 2 but probably better than 3. The whole Saw thing is kinda losing it's appeal for me though, maybe it's just cos they're going stale I don't know.

Definately got the impression this film was left with holes in especially for Saw 5 to pick up the pieces. Unlike the first few films where the sequels created holes in the previous films to allow for the sequel, this one was definately left more deliberately open.

Spoiler below

Saikin I'd need to watch it again to answer your question cos I only read it just now because it was listed as spoiler so I didn't know what to look for. Basically though the twist was obviously not only who was Jigsaws accomplice but also when the events where taking place. It turned out the majority of the film was running parrallel with the story of Saw 3, and I'm assuming the autopsy scene at the beginning an end were set after the events of Saw 3 and 4. It does pose some questions though like you said Saikin, firstly what happened to the FBI agent who got trapped in with Jigsaws body near the end, that was never explained, also they never explained why Jigsaws accomplice was his acclompice, he went from police officer to killer for no apparent reason. Which is why I'm assuming it's being left open for Saw 5.

I was impressed by some of the trailers that showed before the film actually, a film called Pathology and Shrroms both looked like decent upcoming horror films

James

James wrote:

I still haven't watched it. Gonna have to see it this week before it leaves theatres.

James

James wrote:

I tried watching this last night, but dear mother of God its a fucking snooze fest. I had to turn it off. I watched a lesbo prison movie instead.

I'll try watching it again tonight.

James

James wrote:

I finally watched this. Not nearly as bad as I anticipated. You REALLY have to pay attention because they try and piece everything in the franchise together while having this story run parallel to the third Saw film. As already mentioned in the thread, I didn't really understand the motive of the accomplice. They left that way too open, obviously for sequel purposes. I loved the setup leading to the climax, but the climax was a jumbled mess.

I am through with this franchise. I don't care anything about this accomplice, or anything Jigsaw related whatsoever. They should have wrapped up the Jigsaw storyline in III and revamped the franchise completely with a fresh story. They didn't, so I'm no longer interested.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i lost interest after the first one was over...i mean the first was a good movie, but not worthy of a sequel IMO...

Board footer