You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: How many times have you seen GN'R live?

ereeper wrote:

I would count riot shows for sure.  That's part of the history.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
ereeper wrote:

I would count riot shows for sure.  That's part of the history.

Trust me it's not a good history.  That night we didn't like Axl all that much.

ereeper

ereeper wrote:

I was nervous that in 02 the Detroit crowd was going to riot after the Patience fiasco.  There was a definite tension in the air and I knew they weren't coming back.  My wife and I scooted out of there pretty quick.  I wouldn't have been in such a hurry if she wasn't with me.  It sure was a let down after the great show in Chicago a few nights before.  Although that night was the first time they played four new songs in a row and the last live performance of Rhiad.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper

ereeper wrote:

The thing about that Detroit show is it had so much potential.  The band was just on that night and then Patience was an absolute train wreck.  I missed the mic toss, but did see it on the DVD later.  I still blame BH for screwing that song up.  That was my opinion at the time and still is.  Although once it went sour, it went really sour and nobody could recover.  I still think if they regrouped and came out and just did PC they could have saved the day and the 06 concert would have had better attendance.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

With GN'R, excuse me, Axl, there's always that danger. Granted he's not responsible for someone else's decisions or actions, but it happens when you play with people like that.

Your older fans are now parents, with jobs. They're paying the babysitter by the hour. You've got the pit paying $8 per beer that have been standing there for 4 hours.

If you push a human being, any human being, to uncomfortable conditions, that's the reaction you're gonna get. Look at Woodstock '99.

I know Axl didn't take the stage til just after midnight in Tampa '06, and the crowd there were getting pretty restless at that point. People were leaving in droves figuring he'd no-show, fights were starting to break out in the pit, people were throwing their trash up on stage, it was slowly starting to devolve... then the lights go down and Jungle starts, fitting the exact mood perfectly.

I understand the man has to get mentally ready for a performance, and as a procrastinator myself I can understand where he's coming from, i'd probably come on late too - just not THAT late.

Hell for Estero, I actually showed up 3 hours late to the show... and still beat Axl by 30 minutes.

Like with Detroit 2002, this whole attitude of "with GN'R you don't know if you're gonna get 1 song or 10 songs, because if something gets under the crawl of Axl..." (I think Riki Rachtman said that). The point is that shit, that unpredictability was kinda cool back in the day, leaning into GNR's unpredictability, that cool tension, that this band could be dead tomorrow. But it ain't 1988 anymore, it isn't 1992 anymore... it's not even 2002 anymore. That kind of stuff, to the casual person comes across as irresponsible and asshole-ish, and even with GN'R continuing the attitude of "we play what we want to play" I think at this point is tiresome. Your diehards are the only ones attending shows at this point, and if we tell you to play this, and not play that, you should at least listen.

*end rant*

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

What exactly did Buckethead do?

Anyway, my four shows went along well and they were all great.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There's been rumors over the years that instrumentally live Bucket was never on the same page with Axl & Robin. Leading to mistakes.

I highly doubt that's true considering the fact he was begged to return in 2006, and GN'R have reacted to Robin's departure with a collective snore.

Axlin08 wrote:

There's been rumors over the years that instrumentally live Bucket was never on the same page with Axl & Robin. Leading to mistakes.

I seriously doubt that.

Board footer