You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

i think the album will be successful. in north america in 06, the band was playing to crowds around 10000 every night. surely by 2006 they knew slash wasnt in the band

Not necessarily.  My brother in law bought his ticket thinking Slash was in.  Plus the show I was at.  The show was on a Tuesday night.  Nov 21 2006 to be exact.  I bought my tix the Saturday before the show at the low price of two tix for one.  I wouldn't call that a success.

As for the controversy Buzzsaw is creating.  Here is where I agree with him.  ALOT of people here seem to think CD will be the album that will sell regardless any obstacles and can't fail, and that it'll revolutionize music.  It won't.  Sorry to disappoint you but CD will be a good album no more no less.  I hate to bring AFD back in this.  But back in 87 when I heard AFD for the first time I was 14.  I ran to my friends house and told him to listen to this.  We were in awe!  Even at the age of 14 I realised that this album was special.  Anytime you heard WTTJ it made your head turn to see what the buzz was all about.  From the intro it knocked you out.  And the album just never let you go after that until it was over.   While CD is a very strong track and it contains other very good songs.  Nothing in there makes me wanna run to my best friends house to make him listen to cause I think that what I have in my hands is the greatest thing in music.  GNR this time around won't revolutianize music or change it forever like they did in 87.  And as long as people expect a good record from CD period, it should do fine.

One last thing.  Back in 87, you didn't have to call the radio station a 1000 times to hear GNR cause 1000's of people called alot cause they wanted to hear GNR on the radio not because they wanted it to be  no 1 for giggles.  Why not try the same thing this time around and see what happens?  You all might be surprised in a good way. wink  CD is a good enough song to do well on it's own.

I don't see where you get the idea that people think CD is gonna revolutionize music.  I think most of us have stated that that's a near impossibility.  There are too many people who already have their minds made up that it's not gonna live up to expectations.  I'd like to see it do well, and I think it will, but nothing revolutionary.  I never expected that, and I've never had the sense that anyone else thought that either.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

gnfnraxl - the album will be a success in america because the industry chooses who is a success to an extent.

the more marketing the more something is success, reagardless of the quality. best buy will market this aggressively.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
war wrote:

gnfnraxl - the album will be a success in america because the industry chooses who is a success to an extent.

the more marketing the more something is success, reagardless of the quality. best buy will market this aggressively.

100% correct..money talks

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I didn't aim anyone in particular Faldor.  wink  And of course CD will do ok sales.  Some people are gonna buy it out of curiosity only.  But don't try to make it successful by spamming radio stations or people shouldn't be buying 50 copies just so they can say it sold whatever million copies.  The album is good enough to do well on it's own even though it won't revolutioanize anything.

war

war wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I didn't aim anyone in particular Faldor.  wink  And of course CD will do ok sales.  Some people are gonna buy it out of curiosity only.  But don't try to make it successful by spamming radio stations or people shouldn't be buying 50 copies just so they can say it sold whatever million copies.  The album is good enough to do well on it's own even though it won't revolutioanize anything.

i think you have your reasons why you think that is wrong and that is great. i am not going to do any of this street team stuff either. but who are we to say they can't. you are on a gnr fan site. besides, fans are doing this for other bands too. it's like when you fill out your resume they say to embellish as much as you can since everyone else is doing it.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
war wrote:

I agree war.  Plus BB will buy millions of albums due to their exclusivity deal.  But huge sales don't make an album a great album (for the record CD is a good to great album nonetheless).  Or else it would mean that Nsync made some fantastic records for example.  And we both know that ain't the case.  CD should be successful on it's own.  Not cause some people will do everything in their power to make it successful.

war

war wrote:

i lost you at the end there
cd will be successful because of money and proper promotion/management

i agree that sales doesn't always equal substance when you have people with herd mentality

but what are you suggesting? us calling stations requestion they play it isn't gonna directly equal sales.

if they like the music, yes, it will indirectly affect the sales but then the album is selling because of it substinence not because of midless followers that want another nsync

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Street teams for bands the size of Gn'R are lame haha. U2 I'm sure has them too and honestly what's the freaking point? Walk around handing out flyers? haha

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Review from an Australian radio station - Triple M:

"First up, it's clear the new track sounds nothing like Appetite-era GNR. The song begins slowly with an ominous rumble but when the explosive double shot of Axl's wailing vocal and stop-start riff hits you're on a runaway train that doesn't stop.

On the downside, there isn't a memorable chorus and the song sounds like it's been put through an industrial processor (think Nine Inch Nails). And despite a few listens we still don't know what Axl's singing about (something about an "iron fist"?).

Overall though, the song has the muscle to move a small army. The riff is hot, the guitar solos zing and Axl's voice has the primal intensity that's made him one of the best rock vocalists of all time.

The verdict? Guns n Roses are back and they've got our attention. Now for the new album - bring on Saturday November 22!"

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
war wrote:

i lost you at the end there
cd will be successful because of money and proper promotion/management

i agree that sales doesn't always equal substance when you have people with herd mentality

Of course good promo helps.  I'm gonna tell my friends about this as well.  And if the promo is handled well it will help sales.  But again.  After that CD should be given a chance to do well on it's own.

Board footer