You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Well I wonder if the hysteria has dropped a notch or two or three. ... maybe four.   Yesterday I heard Chinese Democracy played 6 times over a  12 hour period on the same station. Today I heard it once over 9 hours.  I wokr out of a truck so the radio is on all day. I called into the radio station today after I heard it and talked with the DJ. He isn't sure whether he likes it or not but he did say without any suggestion from me that he thinks the production is terrible and that if this is the lead single he doesn't have much hope for the album. I told him in my opinion it's not the best song off the album.  Though it does sound better than the leaks I agree with him about the production. I think this is gonna be a real problem with the album.  The DJ said the feedback from their listeners has been not so good. In fact he said alot of people have been calling and e-mailing to say the music sounds pretty good but the vocals and lyrics suck.  To prove his point he actually played a call on air after I hung up where the guy asked "Could you guys play that song again but without the lyrics" Ouch.  I have a buddy who works at the station and he basically said the same. Music is tight, vocals are weak.

Personally I like hearing it on radio. I just find it  amusing that others are actually lsitening to this now. It dos  sound diferent than the standard rock radio stuff which is good I think. But at least here in Central Alberta the reaction from most people seems to be negative. Yesterday it was split from the people I talked to but the more people I've talked to since than the pedulum has definately swung towards the negative side. hmm

I think people were just as negative yesterday.  Again, loads of people are gonna refuse to give the song a chance.  That's unfortunate, but people want to see Axl fail.  I just listened to an interview from BCN with Slash, and the DJ said that very thing.  He hopes CD fails miserably.  That's an honest and objective opinion to go forward with.  That guy should be fired on the spot for making such a ridiculous statement.  OOOhhh, trying to be a shock jock, say something shocking.  Impressive.  All your listeners must be proud of you. 

I know I'm biased, but I honestly think the majority of people saying they hate the song had their minds made up before they even listened to it.

Sky Dog wrote:

that's the problem with burning too many bridges. Better should have been the single.....hands down. CD has no chorus and that is what Gnr has always been known for. They can save themselves by releasing Better 2 weeks before the album drops. Of course, that would make too much sense.

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Well I wonder if the hysteria has dropped a notch or two or three. ... maybe four.   Yesterday I heard Chinese Democracy played 6 times over a  12 hour period on the same station. Today I heard it once over 9 hours.  I wokr out of a truck so the radio is on all day. I called into the radio station today after I heard it and talked with the DJ. He isn't sure whether he likes it or not but he did say without any suggestion from me that he thinks the production is terrible and that if this is the lead single he doesn't have much hope for the album. I told him in my opinion it's not the best song off the album.  Though it does sound better than the leaks I agree with him about the production. I think this is gonna be a real problem with the album.  The DJ said the feedback from their listeners has been not so good. In fact he said alot of people have been calling and e-mailing to say the music sounds pretty good but the vocals and lyrics suck.  To prove his point he actually played a call on air after I hung up where the guy asked "Could you guys play that song again but without the lyrics" Ouch.  I have a buddy who works at the station and he basically said the same. Music is tight, vocals are weak.

Personally I like hearing it on radio. I just find it  amusing that others are actually lsitening to this now. It dos  sound diferent than the standard rock radio stuff which is good I think. But at least here in Central Alberta the reaction from most people seems to be negative. Yesterday it was split from the people I talked to but the more people I've talked to since than the pedulum has definately swung towards the negative side. hmm

I honestly wonder if these people have heard It's So Easy. Just goes to show you that the term "casual fan" is literal. They've probably only heard WTTJ, SCOM, PC, and NR. People assume because he's singing in a deeper voice that he has lost his voice. They're fucking morons though because it's part of his range. It's part of what makes him an impressive singer.

I love the vocals....very punk in my opinion. No chorus kills it. Not bad, but not up to the brand name in the casual listeners mind. However, it does seem to be about 50-50 on the positive/negative.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

One of the problems with the vocals, something I noticed immediately, but let slide (because's it's Axl's thing) is this double and triple vocaling the fucking tracks.

I can't find one single person other than him that likes that shit. Not one.

It makes the vocals sound overproduced, and unbalanced. He started doing that during the Illusions, and believe me, it's still just as stupid sounding now as it was then.

The man has a beautiful voice. I love it. But I would much rather see him go low, mid, then high, as the sound keeps building throughout (think KOHD live), but doing this multi-layered vocal technique just leaves you... why?

After a few listens, instrumentally the song is the strongest it's ever been, but I think the vocals were better on the 2006/07 demos.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

Not bad, but not up to the brand name in the casual listeners mind. However, it does seem to be about 50-50 on the positive/negative.

well i figured we'd get a "it's not gnr without slash" sentiment to this saga once the ball started rolling...its something that the casual listener iwll need to get used to...and it took some of the diehards years to get over that fact...now we'll see how long it takes joe blow

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

One of the problems with the vocals, something I noticed immediately, but let slide (because's it's Axl's thing) is this double and triple vocaling the fucking tracks.

It makes the vocals sound overproduced, and unbalanced. He started doing that during the Illusions, and believe me, it's still just as stupid sounding now as it was then.

oh dear...you too? the honeymoon's over so fast? haha j/k 19

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The man has a beautiful voice. I love it. But I would much rather see him go low, mid, then high, as the sound keeps building throughout (think KOHD live), but doing this multi-layered vocal technique just leaves you... why?

After a few listens, instrumentally the song is the strongest it's ever been, but I think the vocals were better on the 2006/07 demos.

I like it in certain situations. Some songs work better than others. Chinese, the song, doesn't really need it. His low punk voice is all it needs. There is so much other shit going on instrumentally. Another Axl down in the mix isn't really needed. I'd rather listen to Mother Goose.:haha:

Neemo, I think the album is going to be great. I just think there were better songs to choose as a opening single.:)

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Most of my friends like the song. Some of em love it after they heard it a few times.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

idk about elsewhere, but people here in North Florida were going CRAZY over it. Most loved it. I mean out of the 50 or more positive stuff people said on air there was maybe 7 or 8 that said that they didn't like it. But of course those that did were hardcore slash fans that are biased no matter if new gnr is the next Beatles or Zeppelin

My friends loved it too. thought it had an AFD vibe but more modern touch.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

oh dear...you too? the honeymoon's over so fast? haha j/k 19

I knew if I said the slightest critique of this song, someone would be on my ass and fast.

I guess I deserve it. 16

The song is still bloody amazing.

Board footer