You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

mickronson wrote:

I dont really see the big deal about black ice... ive listened to the album, it blurs from one to the other..its the same old same old ac/dc.. i like em but whats goin on,  well i guess the public want something that never changes.

as for offspring, im glad they had their dig with "chinese democracy snooze you lose" bullshit and now wake up to see this list...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mickronson wrote:

I dont really see the big deal about black ice... ive listened to the album, it blurs from one to the other..its the same old same old ac/dc.. i like em but whats goin on,  well i guess the public want something that never changes.

as for offspring, im glad they had their dig with "chinese democracy snooze you lose" bullshit and now wake up to see this list...

AC/DC is #1 or at least near the top of almost all of the lists I've seen.  The part I bolded is actually a concern for GnR because like it or not, this is not the same old Guns N' Roses.  I predicted this to be an issue a long time ago - most people will want to hear GnR sound like GnR.   

Regardless of what we want, the general public is going to have certain expectations when putting on or listening to a Guns song.  Some will be "open minded" and give it a shot, but I suspect more won't, especially if NONE of it sounds like what they think GnR sounds like.  That isn't being "closed minded", it's having expectations...expectations that go along with keeping a brand name.  Think New Coke...it is impossible to recreate something that has a well known legacy that is huge and not expect the general population to expect something similar to the original.  Eventually the public perception might change, but it's going to take a long time and I can't think of one instance in music where it has.  Ironically enough, AC/DC might be the closest thing to a similar situation, though there are major differences.

I'm not looking to start and old vs new or Axl shouldn't have kept the name discussion, but these points are relevant to the discussion taking place here.  Please don't just pick that part of the post to attack if you don't like it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Rock and Roll Train might be the best AC/DC song since Big Gun.

That also helps.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Sky On Fire Stomps all over Rock and Roll Train.
That's my favoriute song from Black Ice

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i heard CD on three different stations in boston in the past 24 hours - one last night, one today at noon, and one just now. there was no negativity after the song on any station.

two djs did go over how to get a free dr. pepper though lol

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

God I hate those people who likes RIR3 CD songs because "that's what they should sound like and anything else is not good". tongue

Some people should just not be allowed to listen to either demo tracks or live versions of unreleased songs. Seriously.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed DCK.

I've let everyone kind of say their own thing, but I have yet to hear the 'wowness' of Madagascar at Rio III.

Seems to me the only reason people cream over it is because Axl played guitar. Even though these are the 'higher' quality boots, i'd take Albany 2002, Columbus 2002, MSG 2002, Boston 2002, Pittsburgh 2002, and Inland Invasion 2006 over Rio III any day of the week.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

There's been a lot of positive response, so stop trying to make it sound like something it's not.

Some like it, some don't.

But don't even try and say that the general reactions to the song have been negative because that's not true.

Actually yeah it is true from where I'm standing. You guys don't like the fact that I haven't heard many positive reviews. I can only report what I've heard. Some postive yes but after three days now it's a far cry from the negative ones. And like I said most people I've talked to don't give a flying fuck who's in or who's out.  The people I've talked to want to hear something good regardless of what band it is or who's in it.  The complaints I'm hearing are production sucks and vocally they don't like it.  How much more in depth should they go.  The opinions of most I've talked to seem to be pretty much how I feel. Yet my opinions are legit(maybe not to some of you) but for anyone who doesn't live and die on a  Gn'R message board they're minds are already made up or they're fucking morons as someone put it? That' or I'm just a  fucking lier and I'm making shit up right?   The general reactions to these songs ARE NEGATIVE from what I've heard. I wish I could say something else  but I can't.  yeah there will be some close minded fools who don't care becasue Slash isn't in the band but most listeners in this world don't care either way who's in the band. They'll take what's given to them if it's something they like so this "minds are already made up" stuff isn't gonna fly for all negative responses.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

So far on my end everything has been positive and Im no nutswinger so I wouldnt lie to make the band look better.

Board footer