You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

tejastech08 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Catcher...................... WTF happened to the solo?  Jesus does anyone in GNR have any feel when they play?

Guitar gymnastics is cool like the first few times, but it wears out and u just have a bunch of angry bees fucking.

Catcher was my fave leak but that solo............. no

reminds me of CC Deville.

Guitar solos are suppose to serve the song and elevate them, it isn't a spot for the guitar player to show off how fast he can play.

U got this amazing, heartfelt, bone chilling song, and the guitar solo/fills sounds like a guy just won a million dollars, and is partying with 10 strippers.

I didn't download Catcher. Did they get rid of May's solo? I thought his solo was awesome.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I just got off work, for those that have listened, is streets of dreams really the blues?

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

what in gods name are you talkin about the solo is basically brian may's rerecorded by fink.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

AFD was basically a ballsier Nazareth doing a killer 80s record. Just because it sounds like that doesn't make it any less special.

I never heard much NIN in the CD tracks, but there are most certainly huge influences such as Praxis, Prodigy, Simply Red, Queensryche, and recently we've gotten glimpses of Zombie and Everlast. The album also has early 80s REO Speedwagon and Barry Manilow influences. None of this is groundbreaking. None of it is complex.

You act like acknowledging this is shitting on the record.

no acknowledging that is fine, just your tone in speaking about the record makes it sound like you detest it.

personally i dont give a shit if its complex, nor do i care what era it sounds like it comes from, in my opinion chinese democracy, the album, is amazing, and i have never heard anything that compares with the diversity of the sound. similarities? sure, ripoffs? no. you say it like you were expecting chinese democracy to define or create a new genre.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I love the songs don't get me wrong

but sometimes I feel Axl went from a trendsetter, to a trendchaser.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

no acknowledging that is fine, just your tone in speaking about the record makes it sound like you detest it.

Honestly reviewing tracks is "detesting" them? That's news to me.

ripoffs

Who said the songs are ripoffs?

you say it like you were expecting chinese democracy to define or create a new genre.

Really? That's what you get from my posts? Wow.....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

James makes a good point with Queensryche. That's how Axl's voice sounds on Sorry. Like Geoff Tate.

victoriacanucker
 Rep: 0 

I love the intro to scraped, pure axl, CITR sounds great, can't wait for the final album mix without skips.

Sorry is cool, sounds alot like Pink Floyd, very mellow, but not really catchy, I assume it will grow on me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Welcome Victoria. 5 Always loved that name.

Welcome to the other new members as well.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I love the songs don't get me wrong

but sometimes I feel Axl went from a trendsetter, to a trendchaser.

See that's the problem. GN'R never were a trendsetter. Neither were Metallica, despite what their fans think.

GN'R simply combined a billion different influences into AFD, such as The Stones, Nazareth, and even Hanoi Rocks, to make their own little sound.

Lies (the acoustic stuff) was basically Tom Petty, thus the duet at the VMA's.

The Illusions were as Slash put it, GNR's "White Album", with all kinds of influences. But in reality, in Axl's mind, imo, it was GNR's "A Night At The Opera" or "Day At The Races" or "News Of The World", take your pick. Like Queen, it featured the sleazy GN'R rockers of AFD, with Elton John-influenced ballads, country-elemented epics (Breakdown), and even Metallica-styled metal (Coma). Only Estranged imo, seemed to be their own little unique invention for the albums, but even Estranged seemed to have moments where it felt like Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me or Candle In The Wind with dolphin sound effects. It apparently wasn't a sound too lost on other artists, because Ozzy put out No More Tears the same year, which seemed like a cousin to Estranged, even with dolphin sound effects too.

CD in alot of ways is like Use Your Illusion III, which is why I keep using Queen as an example. The only difference is, that Axl decided the rockers needed to be updated to a NIN/Rob Zombie-influenced sound, but the ballads basically stayed the same. TWAT sounds like the son of Estranged, Street Of Dreams sounds like an Illusion II song, and several of the ballads sound like Queen songs... with this exception... they sound like Queen songs of the 80's. Thus the reason people are saying This I Love is dated. It is dated. It sounds like it could be on "The Works" or "A Kind of Magic", "If The World" sounds like an "Innuendo" song, and Catcher N' The Rye sounds like it could be on "The Miracle".

At this point i'm waiting for the next tour to roll around and them to start covering "The Show Must Go On" (which would be cool).

This is the direction he's went, which is fine by me, and the music is great.

But trendsetting? No. But then again, GN'R never were.

Board footer