You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

"Joe Blow"
i dont give a fuck about joe blow as long as the dick has already bought the album i dont care what track he skips. hehe

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

scraped is an amazing rocker, and why do so many people hate on rhiad? never understood the hate for that song. Sorry is not really a ballad, its doom metal like baz said, as in slow grinding beat, tuned down guitars. for some reason people equate doom metal to death metal, certainly not the case.

I think Riyadh is one of the highlights of the album. A LOT of its hate stems from those awful bootlegs. I didn't like it back then either. Thought it was interesting musically, but considered it a steaming turd. The demo immediately changed my mind.

Sorry isn't doom metal. Probably the absolute greatest example of doom metal is 'Hand of Doom' By Sabbath. Sorry sounds nothing like that. Other more recent examples would be various Soundgarden tracks(Overfloater a pretty good example). Obvious there are some sub genres and we could split hairs, but overall it is not doom metal.

As far as Baz goes, he gave the same description for Sorry and The General. He obviously fucked up in his statement, and was more than likely describing The General and not Sorry.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

For the few who have never heard this song, here's a classic example of the 'doom metal' sound....

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

For the few who have never heard this song, here's a classic example of the 'doom metal' sound....

Yup, that's proto-Metal. Classic 'doom metal' indeed. Simple, scary. Forboding.

Sorry points to the sounds of more recent (late 80s, late 90's) Ozzy material - and the two Sabbath tracks on Reunion. More recent 'doom metal'. Heavily defined by keyboards and the slow sustaining guitars, in my opinion.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

James, I think part of Sorry does sound like doom metal. It sure as hell isn't the entire song, but part of it does sound similar to the doom metal I've heard through the years. In particular, the main chorus where Axl is singing, "I'm sorry..." multiple times around halfway through the song, there's a doom metal-esque riff that's playing behind his voice.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

i just listened to the tracks once to get an idea, but i'm not gonna anymore because of the skipping.

i think "sorry" is great. a lot better then i expected, a hidden gem. can't wait to hear a proper version. and it is close to doom-metal. i don't think baz was too far off with his description.

"this i love" sounds ok but really set in the 70's. i was expecting this song especially for the last 6-7 years, can't say i'm blown-off by it.

couldn't give "scraped" a complete listen because of the skipping. it's more annoying on a rocker so i had to turn it off middle way. not a bad song but out of the 3 new ones this takes the bottom position for me.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I hope I get some mail

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

can someone please PM me only Catcher and SOD please

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Im not surprised in the least that CD is shaping up to be ballad-heavy.

Axl calls the shots and just look at the songs he wrote on the Illusion discs to get a sense of what his modus operandi is in terms of songwriting

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

scraped is an amazing rocker, and why do so many people hate on rhiad? never understood the hate for that song. Sorry is not really a ballad, its doom metal like baz said, as in slow grinding beat, tuned down guitars. for some reason people equate doom metal to death metal, certainly not the case.

I think Riyadh is one of the highlights of the album. A LOT of its hate stems from those awful bootlegs. I didn't like it back then either. Thought it was interesting musically, but considered it a steaming turd. The demo immediately changed my mind.

Instrumentally Riad is amazing. But the vocals... ugh. Axl at his worst. Not enjoyable to the ears, and even seems pitchy, despite being a demo.

I'll be really interested to see what the final studio version is like. My guess is the vocals are going to be completely redone with the rasp, then doubled up like CD with the falsetto as backing vocals.

I think it actually would greatly improve the song. The vocals just ruin it for me, at least in the demo.

Take Axl off of it, and just title it 'Guitar Solo', and i'd be happier with that.

After what I heard with Catcher, and of course the CD single, ALL of these tracks are going to have significant changes from demos & earlier live versions imo. Although I haven't heard SOD-final, so I don't know about that one.

Board footer