You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: AC/DC "Black Ice" Album and Tour Discussion

monkeychow wrote:

Not sure about Canada...turns out that in Australia you can buy it at local shops...I just pre-ordered it today for release this saturday.

I know they sell it to usa customers on ac/dcs offical site so you could try there if they're including usa/canada as one area or something wierd like that.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Does Anyone know this.  Wasn't ACDC's new disc supposed to be a Wal-Mart exclusive?  Here in Canada they'll sell it everywhere?

Yeah, it's a Walmart exclusive in the US.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

They are talking around 800,000 records sold in the US and 250,000 in the UK. Pretty damn impressive.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think you can expect Gnr in that area first week as well.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

Evidently, lots of people decided to pick up AC/DC's Black Ice when they were at Wal-Mart buying their Halloween candy. The album enters The Billboard 200 at #1, with an eye-popping sales tally of 784,000. That's the second biggest debut of 2008, trailing only Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III, which started in June with sales of 1,006,000. Black Ice had a bigger first week than Coldplay's Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, which started in June with sales of 721,000. AC/DC's tally represents the biggest first-week by a rock album since U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb started with sales of 840,000 in November 2004. It's the biggest debut ever by a mainstream hard rock album. (A pair of alternative-metal bands, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, got off to faster starts.)

It's also the biggest debut ever for an "exclusive"--an album sold in only one retail chain. It tops Eagles' Long Road Out Of Eden, which opened with sales of 711,000 in November. Both of these albums are Wal-Mart exclusives. I wasn't sure that AC/DC and Wal-Mart would be a good fit when I first heard about this deal. Garth Brooks and Eagles made perfect sense for the retailer, because those acts all but define the term "mass appeal." I thought AC/DC's appeal was more specific and narrow. This week's debut reminds us (as if previous achievements by Led Zeppelin and Metallica hadn't already made the point) that hard rock is virtually as mainstream as country and rock.

There's a lot of gloom and doom about album sales, but the fact that two albums have had first-week sales in excess of 750,000 in 2008 shows that the album isn't dead yet. This is the first year in which two albums started with sales north of 750,000 since 2005, when 50 Cent's The Massacre and Kanye West's Late Registration both did the trick. (The wealth, however, is concentrated at the top. Black Ice sold more copies this week than the next 13 albums on The Billboard 200 combined.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_ … schoolers/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, those numbers are crazy. Especially for an exclusive. GN'R should do better than I expected, but the only pitfall is, just about every town in the U.S. (at least from my experience) either has a Wal-Mart, or has one that's close.

The same can't be said for Best Buy, and imo will be the reason GNR's numbers will do well, but won't surpass AC/DC.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

No Walmart around me for a good 50 miles. There are about 3 or 4 Best Buys near me that are close.

AC/DC footage from Chicago..

Highway to Hell

Shoot to Thrill

Axelle01
 Rep: 3 

Axelle01 wrote:

I just bought the cd..its not bad although a lot of the songs seem pretty much the same. I like the skies on fire smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Interesting. A nearly rasp-less Brian Johnson.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Yah. Skies On Fire has become one of my favorite AC/DC songs of all time.

Board footer