You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Most Recent Horror Movie You've Seen....

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The Blu-ray is allegedly a cross between the Cundey transfer and the Divimax transfer, with the day scenes being similar to the Cundey one and the night scenes being the same as the Divimax. I personally think it looks great. I've seen comparison screen shots and I think the blue filter was oversaturated on the Cundey version. I don't give a damn if it's what he originally intended. The Blu-ray looks a fuckload better. Here's a post over at High Def Digest where the poster took comparison pictures while watching both on his HDTV:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray … cenes.html

Notice, especially in the picture of the house at the bottom of his post, the large difference in detail. The pumpkin is almost unrecognizable in the DVD one and if you look at the side of the house, the blue filter seems to take away detail on the window and its frames.

There is still a blue tint to the night scenes, it's just not ultra saturated like the Cundey version.

For the first time, I watched Halloween: TV Version (1999) tonight on Blu Ray. The standard DVD upscaled on the player.

It was magnificent. The best it's ever looked.

I can only imagine the film looks ever better on an actual Blu Ray disc... the theatrical cut of course.

Currently watching: Halloween II

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Currently watching: Halloween II

Being a person who wasn't alive at the time Halloween came out, I really despise what the sequels did to the story. Making Laurie his sister probably took away some of the creep factor that was originally present in the first movie. You don't know why he's going after her and her friends. The mystery of it makes it scarier. But they went and pissed that right on down the drain with the sequels. And people like me have always grown up knowing that they were brother and sister, even before I saw the first movie. sad

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Halloween II is a really strong sequel, but I certaintly have a love/hate relationship with that angle. John Carpenter even admitted it was a mistake in his opinion. He didn't want to write the script, but did it anyways, and after a long night of writing, and a 6-pack of beer, and he was drunk & tired and said "hey, what if they are related?"

Carpenter didn't even want a Myers sequel. He wanted his anthology idea, which they finally gave into with Halloween III (which was the best way to go imo).

From there on out, every Myers sequel went this route, 'til it was just dumb as fuck. In H4 & H5 he's after his niece, in H6 he kills his niece, and is now after his nephew/son (welcome to Illinois, where it's all relative apparently), H2O he was back after his sister & a new nephew.

This was one thing that Zombie had the ability to remove, but didn't. Then again his depiction of Myers was weak anyways. He humanized him. No thanks, I liked him better when he was The Shape. "This isn't a man", just walking evil personified. "A force inside of him", Michael being a force of nature like a hurricane was just cool as hell imo. They attempted to expand on this with the H6: Producer's Cut which was admirable imo, but some people hated it.

About to watch: Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (my favorite of the sequels)

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Halloween II is a really strong sequel, but I certaintly have a love/hate relationship with that angle. John Carpenter even admitted it was a mistake in his opinion. He didn't want to write the script, but did it anyways, and after a long night of writing, and a 6-pack of beer, and he was drunk & tired and said "hey, what if they are related?"

Carpenter didn't even want a Myers sequel. He wanted his anthology idea, which they finally gave into with Halloween III (which was the best way to go imo).

From there on out, every Myers sequel went this route, 'til it was just dumb as fuck. In H4 & H5 he's after his niece, in H6 he kills his niece, and is now after his nephew/son (welcome to Illinois, where it's all relative apparently), H2O he was back after his sister & a new nephew.

This was one thing that Zombie had the ability to remove, but didn't. Then again his depiction of Myers was weak anyways. He humanized him. No thanks, I liked him better when he was The Shape. "This isn't a man", just walking evil personified. "A force inside of him", Michael being a force of nature like a hurricane was just cool as hell imo. They attempted to expand on this with the H6: Producer's Cut which was admirable imo, but some people hated it.

About to watch: Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (my favorite of the sequels)

Yeah, the Blu-ray has a feature length documentary and Carpenter says, "You know how I got through writing Halloween II? A six pack of beer every night." He really hated working on that movie. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, it was supposed to be an absolute nightmare. Not only did he not want to write it, he did it for the money, wrote it, then when production got underway, Carpenter & the late Debra Hill hired green-director Rick Rosenthal, who was terrible at directing, and Carpenter had to 'uncredited' go back and direct quite a bit of Rosenthal's stuff.

Carpenter also went back and re-did the editing, after the film was done, because the choppiness was horrible. If you've ever seen the TV cut of Halloween II - that was Rosenthal's cut. The theatrical one that got released was Carpenter's salvage job. Thus the reason Halloween II, by the time it was all said and done, felt quite a bit like the same atmosphere of the original, probably the closest of any of the sequels.

In hind-sight, Carpenter shouldn't hate the film as much as he does. For horror films, it's quite possibly the best 'direct-sequel' ever made. It's a very good film imo.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, it was supposed to be an absolute nightmare. Not only did he not want to write it, he did it for the money, wrote it, then when production got underway, Carpenter & the late Debra Hill hired green-director Rick Rosenthal, who was terrible at directing, and Carpenter had to 'uncredited' go back and direct quite a bit of Rosenthal's stuff.

Carpenter also went back and re-did the editing, after the film was done, because the choppiness was horrible. If you've ever seen the TV cut of Halloween II - that was Rosenthal's cut. The theatrical one that got released was Carpenter's salvage job. Thus the reason Halloween II, by the time it was all said and done, felt quite a bit like the same atmosphere of the original, probably the closest of any of the sequels.

In hind-sight, Carpenter shouldn't hate the film as much as he does. For horror films, it's quite possibly the best 'direct-sequel' ever made. It's a very good film imo.

I don't think I've ever seen HII other than on TV 4 or 5 times. So I take it I've only seen the shitty Rosenthal version? Wonderful to know. 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Saw IV. It was pretty bad. Shame to see. There are so many cool things they could do with the concept. It's time to revisit the spirit of the first movie if there's going to be more sequels.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Saw IV. It was pretty bad. Shame to see. There are so many cool things they could do with the concept. It's time to revisit the spirit of the first movie if there's going to be more sequels.

I thought the new one was Saw V, not Saw IV? I've seen 5 minutes of the first movie and none of the sequels.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

"You know how I got through writing Halloween II? A six pack of beer every night." He really hated working on that movie. 16

That's because Bob Clark had stopped feeding him ideas.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I thought the new one was Saw V, not Saw IV? I've seen 5 minutes of the first movie and none of the sequels.

Yeah, I'm a bit behind schedule. 16

Think I'm gonna watch Phantasm tonight (don't tell Von I missed his deadline).

Board footer